FOLQ was founded in 1991 by a group of like-minded citizens who recognized how important Lake Quannapowitt was to Wakefield. They sought to mobilize the growing public sentiment that the lake needed to be protected for future generations. The Friends of Lake Quannapowitt is a registered 501C3 non-profit organization.
- Expanded public access to walkway along privately held property at the head of the lake (formerly American Mutual)
- Created Gertrude Spaulding Park at the head of the lake.
- Conducted water testing since 1992, measuring among other things, salt and fertilizer runoff
- Sponsored a renovation of Colonel Connelly Park
- Remove approximately 40 trash-bags of litter per year by sponsoring semiannual lake cleanup event
- Initiated goose control program now maintained by the town
- Stopped a crematorium from being installed only feet from the lake
- Initiated a town-sponsored “Lake Committee” to study in depth the threats to water quality in the lake and possible solutions.
- Established doggie bag dispensaries at three stations around the lake to minimize animal waste along the shore.