FOLQ was founded in 1991 by a group of like-minded citizens who recognized how important Lake Quannapowitt was to Wakefield. They sought to mobilize the growing public sentiment that the lake needed to be protected for future generations.
- Expanded public access to walkway along privately held property at the head of the lake (formerly American Mutual)
- Created Gertrude Spaulding Park at the head of the lake.
- Conducted water testing since 1992, measuring among other things, salt and fertilizer runoff
- Sponsored a renovation of Colonel Connelly Park
- Remove approximately 40 trash-bags of litter per year by sponsoring semiannual lake cleanup event
- Initiated goose control program now maintained by the town
- Stopped a crematorium from being installed only feet from the lake
- Initiated a town-sponsored “Lake Committee” to study in depth the threats to water quality in the lake and possible solutions.
- Established doggie bag dispensaries at three stations around the lake to minimize animal waste along the shore.