Mission statement - To promote public awareness and provide long-term protection and enhancement of Lake Quannapowitt and its surrounding public lands.
FOLQ was founded in 1991 by a group of like-minded citizens who recognized how important Lake Quannapowitt was to Wakefield. They sought to mobilize the growing public sentiment that the lake needed to be protected for future generations.
- Expanded public access to walkway along Digital Realty Trust building (formerly American Mutual)
- Created Gertrude Spaulding Park at the head of the lake
- Conducted water testing since 1992, measuring among other things, salt and fertilizer runoff
- Renovated Colonel Connelly Park
- Remove approximately 20 trash-bags of litter per year by sponsoring semiannual lake cleanup event
- Initiated goose control program now maintained by the town
- Stopped a crematorium from being installed only feet from the lake
- Initiated a town-sponsored “Lake Water Committee” to study in depth the threats to water quality in the lake and possible solutions.
- Provide doggie bags in dispensers around the lake to minimize animal waste along the shore.
Letter from the President
As an active public steward and a voice for future generations, Friends of Lake Quannapowitt (FOLQ) is proud to present Wakefield's jewel - Lake Quannapowitt. Whether you have a taste for the speed and spray of in-land windsurfing, orthe quiet enjoyment of a stroll before sunset, we want you to take a moment and enjoy the best that Wakefield has to offer.
Lake Quannapowitt has served Wakefield for generations and in a multitude of ways. It provided a water source for people and agriculture during the 1800s, was a source for industrial ice through the mid-1900s, and has continuously served as a gathering place for countless recreational activities. Lake Quannapowitt has much to offer. Not only do we invite you to enjoy it like so many before us, we invite you to secure its future.
FOLQ is a member driven organization. Hailing from Wakefield and beyond, our members express their support in a variety of ways. Some volunteer at FOLQ's events and ongoing activities-like water testing and lake cleanups-while others choose to commit their financial support. Whichever way you choose, Lake Quannapowitt needs allies. It needs you.