Wakefield citizens, by combining their efforts and resources, have had a profound impact on the environment of Lake Quannapowitt since the Friends of Lake Quannapowitt (FOLQ) was formed 20 years ago. Our operations are funded totally by volunteered time and small financial donations of members. We have no paid staff and few pieces of equipment. For your tax-deductible charitable dues and donations, we offer an almost total return toward funds spent on mission.
What’s Happened during FOLQ’s 20 years of work?
- Seasonal community lake clean-ups
- 90% reduction in goose population
- 20 years of water testing to track lake chemistry
- Education initiatives within the Wakefield public schools to enhance environmental understanding among our kids
- Provision of free doggie bags to encourage responsible dog-walking
- Replacement of aging benches around the lake with beautiful memorial benches
- Creation of Gertrude Spaulding park after blocking the establishment of a large restaurant on a lakeshore site
- Renovation of Col Connelly Park
- Establishing Bricks by the Lake as a means to raise money for lake parklands
- Rebuilding toddler playground at Col. Connelly Park
- On-going public education about lake and watershed issues
- providing a ready platform to be used for public advocacy when our lake environment is threatened…
We’ve worked hard. We are proud of our accomplishments. And we’ve had some fun along the way.